This is an ongoing project. Sections are modified monthly with new sections added every few months based on information availability, interest, and need. Feel free to suggest or request topics you don't see here. My biggest hurdle, currently, is how to showcase all of this information. The biggest challenge of a topic is the actual music, to display it in such a way that is appealing and interesting, without being overwhelming. If anyone has any ideas, let me know!
- Musical schools (styles)
- Jianpu and sheet music notation
- Guzheng in popular culture
- Level tests and the grading system
- Guzheng history outside of mainland China (Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc.)
- Finger Technique diagrams
- Examples and explanations of Accessories
- Building one's own
- Custom tunings in certain songs
- Brands of Guzheng
- China Music 2018 (October!)
- Video interviews, personal stories
Appendix - Work Thus Far
- Experts - Bios of some of the experts whose work have made this project possible.
- Ensembles - A map of community and professional groups around North America.
- Performers - brief blurbs on guzheng performers with a public presence in the United States.
- Retailers - a map of retailers in the US
- Forum - a link to the guzheng forum run by Carol Chang.
- Guzheng in 90 Seconds - a fast look at facts about the instrument
- The Guzheng Story - a long form description of the the instrument and its place in history.
- Timelines - a plot of the major events in the history of the guzheng with pictures of the people who accomplished them.
- Types - photographs and discussions of different types of guzheng, from older instruments, to modern, and newer innovations.
- Other Zithers - photographs and discussions of other long zithers in Asia that are often confused for guzheng.
- Construction - A general explanation of how guzheng are built. This does not contain enough information to build your own.
- Strings - A discussion of different string materials used throughout history and tables of string diameter from wire and nylon instruments. (New in May 2018!)
- Wood Selection - Information about the different types of woods used to make guzheng, their common names, their Latin names, and some disucssion on endangered species.
- Wood drying - An explanation of how and why the wood used to produce guzheng is dried.
- Examples - a few examples of guzheng music.
- Repertoire - a list of song titles you might encounter, their rough translations, and their rough difficulty.
- Care and Maintenance (New in July 2018!) - basic rundown on how to take care of and clean your guzheng.
- Cost of Ownership (New August 2018) - estimates for costs you'll pay buying, learning, and maintaining a guzheng.
- Digitizing Scores - a guide for how you can use free tools to make digital copies of old sheet music, and get better-quality results then just photo-copying them.
- Finger Techniques - a first attempt at recording the many, many ways a string can be struck or a pitch changed.
- Key Changes (New in May 2018!) - an explanation of common keys in guzheng music and instructions on how to change between them.
- Parts and Terms - Lists and diagrams of the names of all the different parts of the guzheng.
- Tuning Charts (New in May 2018!) - bridge placement and intended pitch for the common keys on 16, 18, 21, and 23-stringed guzheng.
Reviews (New in July 2018) - Product reviews for guidance when purchasing tuners, finger tape, etc.
- Contact - How you can get in touch.
- Development (this page)
- Guzheng Alive - a summary of how and why this site came to be.
- Research Tools - a listing of tools and techniques that I have found necessary and useful. Most are free.
- Special Thanks (New in May 2018) - Recognition for the many people who have contributed to make this project possible.
- Bibliography - A listing of all sources I have cited so far.
- Descriptions - Brief summaries of the works I reference the most. Also a discussion of Copyright and Fair Use.
- Further Reading - Sources I have not read that may be of interest to visitors.
- List of Figures - List of the sources for all imagery and diagrams that I did not produce myself.
- Minor Mentions - A catalog of how non-academic sources describe the guzheng. The sever lack of accessible information is what led me to create this site.